Safety and Trust
The safety of users of MyPocketSkill is our primary concern. It's our intention to ensure that anyone providing or receiving services arranged through this site does so in a way which protects the safety of all those involved, particularly children and young adults.
To make sure your experience with the site is rewarding, we've built a range of features which will help deliver you peace of mind: our content is reviewed by humans (not algorithms or robots), users can report inappropriate content or behaviours and the site is monitored by MyPocketSkill Champions, we include links to educational resources.
We encourage parents to be actively involved in the site
- We recommend that all teenage users add a parent's email address to their user profile. This means that all communication and messaging from the site and other users will be sent to them.
- We expect that parents are involved in any meetings to discuss tasks, particularly with users who are not already known to the family.
- We have also drawn up a set of community guidelines which set out how we expect users to behave on the site and how to report problems and concerns.
We verify all users and make it easy for you to find out more about other users
- We believe that the best way to verify new users to the site is by using people, not robots, so that's what we do. Most new members currently join through friends and recommendations so we check these out as they join.
- We ask users to create a full profile giving information about skills and experience or requirements
- We also ask users to write reviews after a task is completed
- In the future, as we grow, we expect to evolve to a system on automated verification which checks personal details against a user's other social media and online credentials
- Users of the site should be aware there is no foolproof way to verify people online, and in light of this, we have taken extra steps to ensure user safety. However, we accept no responsibility if people turn out to not be who they say they were.
Some user information is best kept confidential
- We make sure that users do not share personal contact details and use the special features of the site, such as our online private messaging, to communicate safely. This helps our moderators keep track of any disputes and ensures transparency and safety for our users.
- Once you have created a user profile, this can be edited, giving you control over what information you choose to share
Staying Safe - Top Tips
We have produced a set of Top Tips for staying safe
- This helpful guide ensures a safe and trusting experience online
- We expect all new users to read these tips
- Do be aware that MyPocketSkill is a platform to connect people, and whilst we provide users with advice and guidelines on safety, we are not responsible for the actions that people take once connected off the site
Need some help? Here are some useful links to external sources:
- If a child is in immediate danger, please dial 999 and speak to the Police
- Childline (1800 11 11) is a free counselling service for under 19's.
- You can report any concerns on the NSPCC Helpline (0808 800 5000)